If you only have one WordPress site, it’s quite straightforward to manage it. Log in to the dashboard in your browser, or in the browser on your smartphone, and away you go.
However, it’s quite likely that you are, or will be, managing multiple WordPress websites, making logging in and out significantly more cumbersome.
The good news? There is a great way to manage all of your WordPress sites from one place: via WordPress’s own desktop, browser, and mobile apps.
These apps connect with all your various websites, and allows you to effortlessly switch between them, performing updates, checking stats, posting blogs, and more. You can access the same dashboard via your browser, through a standalone desktop app, and on your smartphone.
How to set up your WordPress.org website to use with the WordPress app
- Log in to the dashboard of the website you want to set up.
- Go to Plugins>Add New and install the Jetpack plugin.
- Once you activate the plugin, you will need to connect Jetpack with WordPress.com – and create an account if you don’t have one already.
- Activate the “Manage” module within Jetpack.
- To set up additional websites, follow steps 1-4 and make sure you use the same WordPress.com account you used or created in step 3.
- You’re now ready to fire up the WordPress app and manage all your websites in one place!
Managing multiple WordPress sites in your browser
The first place you can use the WordPress app to manage your WordPress sites is right in your browser. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to WordPress.com, and log in with the same account you used or created in step 3 above.
- You will be presented with a dashboard showing two tabs: “My Sites” and “Reader.”
- To see the sites you have connected with Jetpack, click the “My Sites” tab.
Managing multiple WordPress sites on your computer
There is also a standalone desktop app for managing multiple WordPress sites. This is handy if, for instance, you prefer to not have the distraction of the internet while you’re writing!
Here are the steps to use the desktop app:
- Download the app.
- Sign in with your WordPress.com account.
- You will see a dashboard that looks very similar to the browser version above, with tabs for “My Sites” and “Reader.”
- Go ahead and manage your websites!
Managing multiple WordPress sites on your mobile
To round it all off, you can also use the WordPress mobile app to manage your websites. This has the same core features as the browser and desktop apps, however it is not as fully-featured. For instance, you cannot update themes and plugins in the mobile app.
To use the mobile app, follow these steps:
- Download and install the latest version of the WordPress mobile app.
- Open the app and sign in with your WordPress.com account.
- You will see the list of your connected websites, and you can click on each one to manage posts, pages, comments, and more.
Have you used the WordPress app on desktop or mobile? What has your experience been?